Patches and hotfixes are updates for Victoria III, though they are different in purpose:
- Patches fix many bugs and/or implement balance tweaks. They are sometimes released alongside a new, major DLC; when this occurs a portion of the DLC's features are usually shipped as part of the coinciding free patch, thus made available to anyone who has the base game.
- Hotfixes are very small updates to the game that usually fix only a few bugs and may contain a few changes to the gameplay as well. Hotfixes are commonly released shortly after major patches to fix any unforeseen bugs that came with the previous update, or independently to fix newly-discovered bugs or exploits.
Note: Newer DLCs cannot be activated if playing on a patch version preceding the DLC's release. This also applies to mods, which have various levels of compatibility with new patches.
Version history[edit | edit source]
Checksum[edit | edit source]
Each patch has an associated checksum that allows to verify the installation is correct.
It is displayed in multiple places:
- In the Join Game screen, top right.
- In the Host Game screen, under the Game Info tab in the top right.
- After creating a multiplayer game, under Game Settings tab on the left.
Rollback[edit | edit source]
Patches, specially major ones, can introduce anomalies or incompatibilities with save files from older versions. In this case, if playing on Steam, a player can roll back to a previous version in order to preserve their current playthrough.
- On Steam, right-click on the game in your library and select "Properties" then "Betas".
- In the "Select the beta you would like to opt-in" dropdown, choose any past version of the game.
Note: It is not possible to revert to an earlier version on other gaming platforms other than Steam (at this time).